Steps to Apply for the PfMP® Certification Exam
Step 1 – Complete Certification Prerequisites
Portfolio Management Professional PfMP® certification has prerequisites before you are eligible to apply for the certification. You may find below the credentials required for the PfMP® exam.
Portfolio Management Professional (PfMP)® Certification Exam
- All applicants must possess a minimum of eight years of professional business experience AND
- Secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree or the global equivalent)
- 10,500 hours of portfolio management experience
- Four-year degree (bachelor’s degree or the global equivalent)
- 6,000 hours of portfolio management experience
We find it best that you prepare all documents pertaining to the prerequisites for each certification before starting the application process.
Step 2 – Complete Online Application
As it is an online application, you will need to register for MyPMI account at the PMI website (PMI link). According to PMI, you will need the following information:
- Contact information — email, address, phone number
- Education attained — school attended, level of education attained, degree date
- Domain experience — details of the projects, programs, portfolios you’ve worked on including qualifying hours, dates of employment, role, organization details, reference, and experience summary
- Domain education — names of courses completed, institutions attended, dates, qualifying hours
You may also indicate preferred exam language in the online registration which may be an advantage for you if English is not your native language.
Once you have all the details above and the documents needed, you can start with filling out the online application form. Please note that the account will only be active for 90 days once you’ve started on the application process.
If you have taken our PfMP® Exam Prep Course, we will fully assist you with your application.
Step 3 – Application Review
Upon submission, PMI will review your application to verify if you are eligible to take the certification exam. Afterwards, an email will be sent to you once they have completed their review within 5-10 days from the date of submission. To ensure the credibility of the certification program and its holders, PMI also conducts audits for a specified percentage of applications that are randomly chosen per certification.
Should you be chosen for the random audit and you have taken our PfMP® Exam Prep Course, we will also extend you our assistance in completing the audit process.
Step 4 – Payment and Scheduling
Payment comes after receiving the email of approval from PMI. The best way to make your payment is through their online certification system. After paying, you will then receive an eligibility number that you will use to schedule your appointment.
All PMI certifications except CAPM are scheduled at any one of Prometric’s worldwide testing sites (Prometric link).
You may refer below to the exam fees for the Portfolio Management Professional (PfMP)® Certification Exam.